If you are looking for a super simple and delicious dinner recipe, then look no further. This creamy Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is the perfect family meal. The recipe is inspired by Chili’s famous Cajun chicken pasta, but with a twist. The shrimp and sausage are the perfect protein sources for this pasta and it really is delicious. Not only is it tasty, but it takes less than 30 minutes to make!
All of the ingredients are simple and do not require much preparation. Most of the work comes from cutting the onion and sausage. If you buy shrimp that are already deveined and have the tails removed, that makes the work load even less. Once you are done preparing these few items, all that is left is to add the ingredients in and cook. This recipe is so simple and it is beginner friendly. It does not require any fancy cookware, but only one pot and skillet. It is perfect paired with garlic bread or a salad.
What you will need for this recipe is:
- 3 or 4 sausage links. I use andouille smoked sausage.
- 6oz of your preferred medium shrimp.
- Half of an onion.
- 16oz of heavy cream.
- Half of a box of farfalle pasta (or whatever pasta you like).
- A few cloves of garlic.
- Roughly 2-3 cups of your preferred parmesan cheese.
- Half the juice of a lemon.
- A few tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 stick of butter,
- 1 roma tomato (optional)
- Seasonings: cajun, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, old bay, Dan-O’s original, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley (flakes or fresh). Season everything to your liking.
This recipe serves 4-6.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for pasta.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook, add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a pan.
- Once the oil heats up, add red pepper flakes, the diced onion, and garlic to the pan on medium heat. Let this cook for only a few minutes.
- Now add 1/4 stick of butter and the sliced sausage to the pan and cook according to package (roughly 8-10 minutes). Season your sausage with cajun, Dan-O’s, old bay, onion powder, and garlic powder. If you do not have all of these seasonings that is fine, just use what you have.
- When your sausage is done cooking, remove from the pan and add in the shrimp. Add more butter if necessary. Season your shrimp the same as the sausage. Only cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and add in the rest of the butter, heavy cream, lemon juice, and a cup of pasta water.
- Once the mixture begins to slightly boil, add in the parmesan cheese.
- When your sauce is done, add in the cooked and drained pasta, sausage and shrimp to the pot of sauce and mix. Also, add in more of all of the seasonings listed above to taste.
- You may want to top your pasta with more cheese, parsley, and some diced tomatoes. Add whatever you like!
Some optional ingredients are peppers, mushrooms, and chicken. This pasta is customizable and will be tasty in many variations. You can also pair it with a salad or garlic bread.
I hope you enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, check out this Loaded Potato Soup!