Chicken tortilla soup is an awesome meal to make when you have a busy day and need a great, filling, meal! It takes only about 10 minutes to prepare, so it is perfect for parents or workers on-the-go. Not only is it quick and easy to prepare, but it is also a crock-pot meal. This means that all you need to do is toss the ingredients in the pot, and you are good to go. It does not get any easier than that!
Chicken tortilla soup
Fall is officially only a few days a way, and do you know what that means? It means that it is officially soup season! I, in particular, love this time of year, not only because of the nice weather, Halloween decorations, and falling leaves, but also because it is crock-pot and soup season. As a mom and wife, I sometimes dread cooking on busy days. This is one of the quick and easy recipes that I love to make because it only requires about 15 minutes of work.
Although fall and winter are usually the seasons that most people enjoy soup, I make this recipe for my family all year around. It’s just that good! Every time that I make chicken tortilla soup, I make extra to take to my mom while she works. My almost 2-year-old son will also eat this soup, which is always a plus. I know that it can be tricky to find recipes that toddlers will actually eat and not throw on the floor. Almost all of these ingredients are easily packaged, so it does not require a ton of dicing or preparing.
What you will need for this soup is:
- 2-4 chicken breast, depending on size
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 half jar of salsa
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken bouillon
- 1 can of corn
- onion powder (measure with your heart)
- garlic powder (measure with your heart)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- salt, as needed
- pepper, as needed
- 1 can of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- (optional) half a white onion, diced
- (optional) hot sauce
This recipe makes about 4-6 servings.
- Place chicken breast into your crock-pot and season with your onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse your corn, black beans, and chickpeas and dump them into your crock-pot with the chicken.
- Add in your salsa on top of all the ingredients in your crock-pot.
- Next, pour in your chicken broth.
- Now add your taco seasoning and all of the other seasonings we used on the chicken. Measure all of these seasonings to your liking.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours. If your chicken breast are frozen you should add an extra hour or so.
- When it is all done cooking, place your chicken in a large bowl and then shred with a hand mixer. It is much easier than shredding it by hand.
- Afterwards, return the shredded chicken to the crock-pot and enjoy!
To top it off, I enjoy adding sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, and shredded cheese to mine. Add whatever you want to it, go crazy if you wish! Best of all, you have very little dishes to wash afterwards and a full, happy family.