Real estate is a rewarding and extremely lucrative career – for the right person.
Not everyone is cut out for it, though these days it seems as though most people think they have what it takes. Unfortunately though, enjoying HGTV doesn’t count as a good litmus test for whether or not a career in real estate is right for you.
Here are a few character traits that most successful real estate agent’s possess. Hopefully these will give you a solid, REALISTIC clue as to whether or not you’re ready to get that license.
You might be a good real estate agent if:
1) You WANT to learn. You want to learn about the career itself, the market, the latest marketing strategies, the tricks of the trade and the intricacies of the career. If you’re really into to the WHOLE picture, it’s a pretty good indicator you’ll succeed in the field.
2) You like people. If you enjoy building relationships as you get to know new people, you might be on the right track with real estate. A big part of success in the industry is networking and making connections, not just with clients, but with other professionals in the real estate business too. From appraisers to inspectors to mortgage brokers, being willing to network is a huge indicator of success.
3) You’re detail oriented. Being organized and diligent to dot your Is and cross your Ts is a huge driver for success as a real estate agent. Unfortunately, agents who are disorganized and sloppy with paperwork and plans tend to move on from the industry fairly quickly.
4) You’re a self-starter who can work independently and get tasks done without being asked to do them. Realtors have to be independent. It’s largely entrepreneurial. That means you’re selling yourself as much as you are homes. You are your brand, and your business. Being willing to work for it and being honest with yourself about how hard you’re willing to work will give you a good idea about whether or not it’s right for you.
5) You’re honest and ethical. This is self explanatory, but if you have the tendency to cut a few corners, this career won’t be for you. In fact, your professional reputation as a person of integrity and honor will be crucial to a successful career in real estate. Becoming a member of National Association of REALTORS® is one way to show clients and agents alike that you practice high ethical standards. Members must pledge to adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
Of course, these five things aren’t the only traits that can indicate you’d be a good fit for real estate, but they’re a really good place to start. Once you decide you’re ready to go for it, the next stop is finding a good real estate school to get you on your way.
Jason is a guest blogger who represents The Real Estate School for Success in South Carolina.